McNair Scholars Program
Watch This Video First
The Bowie State University McNair Scholars Program
The Bowie State University McNair Scholars Program is one of 151 federal TRIO programs, funded across the United States and Puerto Rico by the U.S. Department of Education. It is designed to prepare undergraduate students for doctoral studies through involvement in research and other scholarly activities. McNair participants are either first-generation college students with financial need, or members of a group that is traditionally underrepresented in graduate education and have demonstrated strong academic potential. The goal of the McNair Scholars Program is to increase graduate degree awards for students from underrepresented segments of society. The Bowie State University McNair Scholars Program is STEM research-focused and therefore not intended for students who wish to pursue professional degrees such as medicine, law, or business management.
We formally recruit a new cohort of scholars during fall semester, but we invite you to reach out to us at any time during the school year for guidance on graduate school application process. We would be happy to help you find a path that will best fit your educational and career goal. If you desire to obtain a Ph.D. and have an opportunity to conduct research, we strongly encourage you to take your PhD survey to tell us more about yourself.
To be eligible for the Bowie State University McNair Scholars Program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Completed at least 90 quarter units (60 semester units) at time of entry.
- A 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA (Junior) and 2.7 GPA (sophomore) respectively.
- U.S. citizenship or permanent U.S. residency.
- Come from a low-income family and be the first to complete a baccalaureate degree OR be a member of a group underrepresented in graduate education (including African American, Native American, and Chicano/Latino).
- Intend to pursue a Ph.D. after graduation. This program is not open to students intending to pursue professional degrees such as medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, management, or law.
- Students who have transferred from a community college are especially encouraged to apply to our program.
- BSU McNair Scholars Program application
- Personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation
- College transcripts
- Financial information
We are currently accepting applications for our next cohort of scholars. Please contact the McNair Program staff with any questions.